Ultimate STEM Challenge Terms and Conditions
Explains the rules for entering the Ultimate STEM Challenge and how we use your data
Ultimate STEM Challenge Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER THE ULTIMATE STEM CHALLENGE COMPETITION (“the Competition”)
These are the rules (‘Official Rules’) that apply to the Competition, which is hosted on https://bpes.bp.com/ultimate-stem-challenge (the ‘Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website’). If you do not comply with the Official Rules, you may be disqualified from the Competition without further notice.
- Teachers, parents or guardians (‘You’) must read these Official Rules before entering the Competition on behalf of your students. False or deceptive entries or acts will render an entry ineligible.
- By entering the Competition, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of bp plc.
- bp plc reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or the Official Rules without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside bp plc’s reasonable control. Any changes will be posted within these General Rules and/or on the Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website.
- Entries must be submitted by a teacher at a UK school, or a parent/teacher of UK-based home educated students.
- Teachers must register on the bp educational service Website, www.bp.com/bpes, in order to enter their students into the competition.
- This Competition is open to individuals or teams consisting of up to 4 individuals ("Entrants"). Each individual in a team must:
- be resident in the UK at all times during the Competition and the time of fulfilment of the prize;
- be aged between 9 and 14 years old at all times between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020;
- not have a parent or carer who is an employee, agent, affiliate, officer or director of bp plc, EdComs Ltd, We are Futures Ltd, STEM Learning, or of any advertiser, promotion agency, fulfilment agency or agent of bp plc, or of anyone else professionally connected with the Competition.
- You may submit entries for multiple teams by completing and submitting the entry form one or more times.
- Entrants may only enter the Competition once, as part of one single team.
- bp plc may require you to provide proof that you are eligible and the authorised account holder of the e-mail addresses used to enter the Competition. ‘Authorized account holder’ means the natural person to whom the e-mail address in question has been assigned by an Internet service provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the e-mail address.
- If you fail to provide all required information your students' entries may be disqualified.
- Any use of electronic devices to enhance or alter your students' odds of winning will count as a false or deceptive entry and you will be disqualified.
- bp plc undertakes to use reasonable efforts to maintain adequate e-mail, internet and other communication links but is not otherwise responsible for and shall not be liable for: late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, or unintelligible entries; telephone, electronic, hardware, or software program, network, Internet, or computer malfunctions, failures, delays or difficulties; errors in transmission; prize notification deliveries attempted but not received; any loss suffered by anyone who enters or attempts to enter the Competition, whether the entry is lost, not submitted, wrongly processed or does not win.
- Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- If your students are disqualified, bp plc is under no obligation to publish this fact on the Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website or anywhere else.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete to the best of your knowledge [JB4]. bp plc reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entries.
- The contact details you provide with your Competition entry will be used to notify you of any prizes so please make sure they are correct.
- All entries must be submitted by a teacher, parent or home school educator and include the name/s of the Entrants consisting of 1, 2, 3 or 4 individuals who are each eligible to enter under these General Rules and the prize can only be awarded to the team and individuals whose details are submitted on the relevant entry form.
- You can enter by post to We are Futures, Ultimate STEM Challenge, 1 Paris Garden, London, SE1 8ND, via email email@example.com or by fax 020 7509 6651 using the specified entry form from the Competition Website. However, bp plc will be under no obligation to send a confirmation email acknowledging receipt of any entry.
- Entries to the Competition can be submitted at any time from 16 September 2019 until 23:59 GMT on 14 January 2020.
- All entries will become the property of bp plc on its receipt of them and will not be returned. Entrants hereby assign to bp plc all worldwide copyright and like intellectual property rights in their entries and waive all moral rights.
- Each member of the teams selected as finalists will be invited to the Ultimate STEM Challenge Final Event, to be held at the bp Upstream Learning Centre in Sunbury (date to be confirmed). Each team can be accompanied by up to two supporting adults (e.g. you, another teacher or a STEM Ambassador who has supported the students during the completion of their project). During the Final Event, members of the winning team will:
- Have the opportunity to meet and work with STEM experts to develop their project;
- Present their project to a panel of judges and other finalists.
- Two teams selected by the judging panel at the Final Event as the winners will receive £750 to be spent on science equipment for the school or a science trip. bp plc may require you to supply receipts for all purchases made with the prize money.
- The other finalists attending the Final Event will receive goody bags.
- bp plc will cover reasonable travel costs from any location within the UK to the bp Upstream Learning Centre for all team members and up to two supporting adults per team. Train tickets must be standard class.
- All taxes, insurances, spending money and other expenses (including personal expenses, upgrades etc.) as the case may be, unless specifically stated, are the sole responsibility of the prize winners.
- Some elements of the prize actually awarded may differ from that shown. However, in such circumstances bp plc will make every effort to ensure that any substitute prize is of equal or greater value to that described on the bp Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website and in these Official Rules.
- The Prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
How to win
- The Competition will be run in two stages:
- Preliminary judging - all valid entries will be considered by a panel of judges, who will shortlist six entry finalists to be invited to the Final Event.
- Final judging - all entrants selected as finalists will be invited to the Final Event where two winning teams (one primary and one secondary) will be selected by a panel of judges including representatives from bp, STEM Learning, and a teacher.
- Entries will be judged according to the judging criteria as detailed on the Judging Criteria page.
- If at any stage in the Competition a winning team is disqualified from the Competition or all members of a winning team decline or fail to properly claim their prize or cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by bp plc, that winning team will forego the right to progress to the next stage or claim the prize (as applicable) and bp plc at its sole discretion may arrange for a replacement winning entry to be selected by the panel of judges.
- In order to qualify as a finalist, at least one team member and one supporting adult must be able to attend the Final Event or that team will forego the right to progress to the next stage or claim the prize (as applicable) and bp plc at its sole discretion may arrange for a replacement winning entry to be selected by the panel of judges.
- You must supply bp plc consent forms signed by a parent or carer for all team members invited to the Final Event in advance of the Final Event. If you are not able to supply us with a signed consent form for a team member by the required deadline, that team member will not be able to attend the Final Event. If you are not able to supply us with a signed consent form for any team member by the required deadline, that team will forego the right to progress to the next stage or claim the prize (as applicable) and bp plc at its sole discretion may arrange for a replacement winning entry to be selected by the panel of judges.
- You and your students’ parents or carers may also be required to sign affidavits of eligibility (both eligibility to enter the Competition and win and eligibility to receive and use the prize lawfully), liability releases and, except where prohibited by law, publicity releases and return these within 28 days.
- In the event that:
- Such affidavits and releases are not signed; and/or
- It transpires that an individual from the winning team is not eligible to enter the Competition and win, or cannot lawfully use, participate in or benefit from the prize; and/or
- Any prize notification is returned as undeliverable; and/or
- An individual from the winning team cannot be traced or contacted after reasonable efforts have been made by bp plc; and/or
- An individual from the winning team otherwise declines or fails to properly claim his or her prize within 28 days of notification or fails to complete any vetting to bp plc’s reasonable satisfaction. The individual concerned will be disqualified from the Competition and will be deemed to have foregone their right to claim the prize. However, the disqualification of any one individual from the winning team will not prevent other members of the winning team who fully comply with these Official Rules from claiming their prize.
- Prizes are awarded at bp plc’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. bp plc reserves the right to disqualify any entry or any individual member of a team if it has reasonable grounds to believe that an entry or an individual has breached any of the Official Rules.
- Any decision of the panel of judges in relation to the awarding of prizes will be final. In all other cases, the decision of bp plc will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
- Except in respect of death or personal injury caused by the negligence of bp plc, bp plc expressly disclaims any responsibility and each participant hereby agrees to release and to hold bp plc (and its employees, officers, directors, agents, marketing partners and affiliates) harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with any prize or resulting from the delivery, acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse of any prize. bp plc (and its employees, officers, directors, agents, marketing partners and affiliates) is not responsible for any condition caused by events beyond the control of bp plc that may cause the Competition to be disrupted.
- The Promoter is bp plc. Any information or data you provide on this website will be managed by bp plc as detailed in these Official Rules. bp plc is registered in England, company number: 102498 registered office: 1 St James's Square, London, SW1Y 4PD.
- This Competition and Official Rules will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England. bp plc makes no representation that materials on the bp Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website relating to this Competition are appropriate or available for use at other locations and access to them from territories where their contents are illegal is strictly prohibited. If you access the site outside of the United Kingdom, you are responsible for compliance with all local laws.
- bp plc may process your personal data and that of your students itself or through data processors who will process data on its behalf but in either case bp plc will remain responsible for ensuring your personal data and that of your students is processed in accordance with bp’s Privacy Statement, these Official Rules and all relevant data protection regulations.
- bp plc will only use your personal data and that of your students: fairly and lawfully; as set out in the Official Rules and/or the Privacy Statement; and to the extent necessary for the purposes of the Competition, including arranging your receipt of and/or participation in the prize.
- Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and bp plc reserves the right to use the names and schools of winners, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity. Winners may be required to take part in further reasonable promotional activities. This will be included on the consent forms that must be signed by a parent or carer of all entrants attending the Final Event, and supplied by you to bp plc in advance of the Final Event.
- We will ensure that your personal data and that of your students is not used if we know that it is not accurate and up to date and we will not keep it for longer than necessary. Data relating to entrants will be retained by bp plc for a reasonable period of time after the promotion closes to assist bp plc in operating promotions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries relating to the promotion.
- Winners’ names and school names will be included on the Ultimate STEM Challenge Competition Website and in the bp educational service newsletter. This will be included on the consent forms that must be signed by a parent or carer of all entrants attending the Final Event, and supplied by you to bp plc in advance of the Final Event.